Many couples book an ultrasound scan for reassurance especially if they have taken a while to conceive or have received fertility treatment.

1 in 7 couples may have difficulties conceiving. 84% of couples will conceive naturally within a year (www.nhs.uk/conditions/infertility), but those in the other 16% have a very different journey.

Whether a couple have quietly conceived naturally or have been undergoing investigations and treatment over a period of time, it can be difficult to adjust to the idea that a baby is finally going to arrive. After months or years of hoping for a positive pregnancy test, the reality of seeing those 2 lines can result in a mixture of shock and surprise. Excitement which can quickly be mixed with some anxiety. Some couples have told very few family or friends about their fertility journey and can find this time filled with new concerns they are not able to share. Many couples talk about the fear of a pregnancy ‘going wrong’ and find it hard to be excited. This is a common worry for most couples and is very understandable.

One way to reduce some of these fears is to be able to see the baby during an ultrasound scan. An early scan can offer reassurance by confirming viability and excluding an ectopic pregnancy. Even though a woman feels tired, nauseated and has tender breasts it is still a very common fear that the pregnancy test was wrong or she has imagined her strong good pregnancy symptoms! By seeing the baby on the scan screen with a lovely strong heartbeat, the pregnancy becomes ‘real’.

They will no doubt still have some anxiety as they continue their pregnancy journey, and this is completely normal. I hope that by seeing their baby and having some lovely photographs to take home, every couple will feel more positive.

It is such an honour to be able to help share this fantastic news with our lovely couples and quickly alleviate some of these worries.

What our clients say about us

“We were both delighted with the service, in the run up to the scan, with our questions being answered reassuringly and on the actual day. You were friendly and helpful Continue Reading